geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@apache.org>
Subject exiting incubation, and committers (was: geronimo-dev Digest 27 Aug 2003 21:48:41 -0000 Issue 107)
Date Fri, 29 Aug 2003 11:34:47 GMT
On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 09:48:41PM -0000, geronimo-dev-digest-help@incubator.apache.org wrote:

> On Wednesday, August 27, 2003, at 06:51  am, Siva wrote:
> > Hi Group,
> >     When do we pass the incubation stage and become a Apache
> > project?Are
> > there any time frame?

Nope.

> From: James Strachan <james_strachan@yahoo.co.uk>
> Subject: Re: [General] Incubation --> Apache Project
> To: geronimo-dev@incubator.apache.org
> Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 14:37:24 +0100
>
> I've absolutely no idea :). This is my first time in the incubator.
> There doesn't seem to be much documentation on steps to leave the
> incubator...
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/process.html
>
> I guess we should collectively try and decide some exit criteria for
> the project. e.g. when should we apply to the board / members to become
> a top level project?

Take a look at what the xmlbeans folks have set up:

  http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/incubator/projects/xmlbeans/STATUS?rev=1.3&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

The Geronimo project should set up a STATUS file in the root of the CVS
tree and begin to track stuff like this (and other project status).

I am also going to *strongly* iterate that you add more committers to the
project. There is a *ton* of activity, and there is no reason to avoid
adding more committers to assist with that work. This is a big project,
and it needs to be scaled up [in terms of committers].

The loose rule of thumb of "six months of activity" is only a loose rule,
and only for *established* project. Please recognize that the initial set
of a dozen committers is actually pretty arbitrary. They happened to be
there at the project start, but they are not necessarily any more
"ASF-qualified" than many of the people now signed up on the mailing list.

Part of establishing a community around Geronimo includes adding more
committers. Especially when I see comments on the list about the project
feeling like a "cathedral". There needs to be a very clear mechanism for
people to move from lurker to patch-submitter to committer to PMC member
to ASF member. If people feel cut out from that path, then we end up with
the cathedral feelings, and that is unacceptable. Everybody must feel
welcome to participate, and feel that they have the opportunity to grow
further into the project.

There are numerous people who have been submitting patches. Look there
first for new committers. Who has submitted a good number? Have they
applied easily? Were they correct, or did they need some iterations? Did
the committer have to make further tweaks? Does the person "get" the
project and where it is trying to go? Much of these questions may need to
be answered from a gut feeling given the youth of the project. But however
it happens, I really think a larger committer base is necessary, and can
provide a great way to reach out to more communities and a broader
technical expertise base.

Cheers,
-g

--