geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Tetsuya Kitahata <tets...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Project Naming -Apache Geronimo
Date Wed, 20 Aug 2003 14:53:31 GMT

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 08:55:16 -0400
(Subject: Re: Project Naming -Apache Geronimo)
Berin Loritsch <bloritsch@apache.org> wrote:

> Adrian Field wrote:
> > cultural sensitivity (I think a couple of posts are on the right track with
> > contacting Native American organisations to see what their thoughts are on
> > this instead of being subjective),
> > negative association- suicide in some cultures through history has been
> > honourable.
> More specifically the rite of hatakili (sp?) that Samarai were allowed to
> perform so that they could die honorably.  The nature of Geronimo's death
> is more consistent with this mindset.

"Harakiri", "Samurai"?? What are you talking about?! ;-)

Anyway, I think the reason of the objection might be able
to be found from here:
http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=geronimo+software&btnG=Google+Search&lr=

Trademark issue ... (I am still not sure, though)

# s/G/J/g might be preferable, FWIW ;-)

-- Tetsuya (tetsuya@apache.org)