geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject SVN on MacOS X (was: geronimo-dev Digest 15 Aug 2003 02:16:34 -0000 Issue 64)
Date Fri, 15 Aug 2003 06:38:22 GMT
On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 02:16:34AM -0000, geronimo-dev-digest-help@incubator.apache.org wrote:
> From: Alex Blewitt <Alex.Blewitt@ioshq.com>
> Subject: Re: SVN functionality (was: geronimo-dev Digest 14 Aug 2003 22:49:29 -0000 Issue
62)
> To: geronimo-dev@incubator.apache.org
> Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 01:24:17 +0100
>
> On Friday, Aug 15, 2003, at 01:17 Europe/London, Greg Stein wrote:
> Yes, there will no doubt be differences. Here's how I see the main one:
>
> Not supported on the OS that I use to develop all my code versus an
> ability to move code from one place in the repository to another.

WHAT?! Subversion is fully supported on MacOS X. A number of the SVN
developers' primary platform is MacOS (e.g. Justin Erenkrantz).

And from what Noel was saying, it seems that it may be that all you need to
do is to build svnup on your platform, and it will work within Eclipse.

Subversion is built using the Apache Portable Runtime (APR), meaning it runs
everywhere the Apache web server does. That is a *lot* of platforms.

> Sorry, but I don't really care how the server works -- I need the
> client to work :-)

The command line client absolutely works on your platform. It has for a long
time. And it sounds like subclipse might, if you simply build the sucker.

> Yeah, these are all nice things but the only thing (IMHO) that makes
> SVN stand out better than CVS is the move. And you can do it in CVS;
> you just move the ,v file from one directory to another.

Um. Moving the ,v file is the worst thing you could do. That totally breaks
checking out older versions (by tag or by date).

> >The suggestion that "lack of Eclipse" integration is enough to *not*
> >consider SVN seems rather short-sighted. It seems like you aren't
> >considering the other side of the equation. What do you *get* by
> >switching?
>
> The ability to not develop code on my machine? A small space saving on
> the server? Log messages from when the code was very old?

You're off the deep end here. SVN works fine on MacOS X.

> >Of course, I'm biased :-), but I also think the discussion needs to
> >think
> >about more items than simply Eclipse integration.
>
> There aren't a whole lot of other decent tools available for free on
> Mac OS X. Cutting a small-but-non-negligible user-base out of
> development to save bytes on the server isn't a good tradeoff IMHO.

It isn't about saving bytes. It is about tracking the history of the
project. 'svn copy' is also just as important as moves. And the atomic
commits. And...

But your premise about "cutting out..." doesn't hold. Again, SVN works just
hunky dory on MacOS X. No MacOS developers would be cut out.

> >>SVN clients may exist, but there's no way I'd want to use a source
> >>management tool outside of Eclipse ...
> >
> >"CVS might be integrated with Eclipse, but there's no way I'd want to
> >use a
> >source management tool that doesn't support move/copy."
>
> If you're not administering the server, I'm not sure you'd see much
> difference. If you are administering the server, then yes, there's
> probably something to say for the upgrade.

Hunh? I'm not sure that I follow this. Are you referring back to your "save
a few bytes" comment?

Cheers,
-g

--