geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject SVN functionality (was: geronimo-dev Digest 14 Aug 2003 22:49:29 -0000 Issue 62)
Date Fri, 15 Aug 2003 00:17:56 GMT
On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 10:49:29PM -0000, geronimo-dev-digest-help@incubator.apache.org wrote:
> From: "Jeremy Boynes" <jeremy@coredevelopers.net>
> Subject: RE: SVN and Eclipse
> To: <geronimo-dev@incubator.apache.org>
> Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 13:56:37 -0700
>
> Do any of these plugins support MacOSX, or is there a GUI client available?
>
> That appears to be the biggest issue with adopting SVN at the moment.

"But SVN doesn't support feature <X>. No way can we use it!"

Say stuff like that all you want, but recognize that there will *always* be
a feature disparity between CVS and SVN.

So maybe the Eclipse integration isn't "as nice" as you might like, but that
is just one item. On the *other* side of the fence are SVN's features that
CVS doesn't have:

* atomic commits
* WebDAV access
* svn move, svn copy
* O(1) tagging and branching
* etc etc ... see http://subversion.tigris.org/ for more

The suggestion that "lack of Eclipse" integration is enough to *not*
consider SVN seems rather short-sighted. It seems like you aren't
considering the other side of the equation. What do you *get* by switching?

Given some of the recent moves in the repository, and given that more are
probably on the way until Geronimo matures, then I think the lack of an 'svn
move' (which tracks history of course!) seems like a pretty big opportunity
cost.

Of course, I'm biased :-), but I also think the discussion needs to think
about more items than simply Eclipse integration.

> From: "Daniel S. Haischt" <me@daniel.stefan.haischt.name>
> Subject: Re: SVN and Eclipse
> To: geronimo-dev@incubator.apache.org
> Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 23:12:40 +0200
> there is RapidSVN but i do not know whether there is a
> Mac OS X port. you should definitly look whether there
> are some Fink packages available.

RapidSVN is built upon wxWindows which works on the Mac, I believe.

I know there are Fink packages for SVN, but I dunno about pkgs for RapidSVN.

> From: Alex Blewitt <Alex.Blewitt@ioshq.com>
> Subject: Re: SVN and Eclipse
> To: geronimo-dev@incubator.apache.org
> Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 22:33:03 +0100
>
> No, subclipse is Win32-only.
>
> SVN clients may exist, but there's no way I'd want to use a source
> management tool outside of Eclipse ...

"CVS might be integrated with Eclipse, but there's no way I'd want to use a
source management tool that doesn't support move/copy."

:-)

Cheers,
-g

--