geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Standard @version tags
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2003 09:47:38 GMT
On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 09:18:19AM +0100, Alex Blewitt wrote:
> To revisit some of the earlier discussions regarding this:
>
> o We don't include author, because it's accessible from the CVS log
> o Since we can also find out the date from the CVS log, there's no
> point in having that in the source code as well
>
> It seemed to be the case that using $Date$ was therefore redundant,
> because you could easily find out how old the source was from CVS.

Not to point out the obvious, but all $foo$ tags are available from cvs log.

I personally like the $Id$ tag which gives you everything.  Yes, it's easy to check cvs log
on one file, but a hundred files?

The $Id$ tag (and other cvs tag) may be bothersome to committers, but it's a tremendous convenience
to the thousands of users who may be looking through the source.

-David