geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Tetsuya Kitahata <>
Subject Re: [VOTE] change Reply-To to go to geronimo-dev
Date Fri, 08 Aug 2003 09:56:20 GMT

We, Japanese, generally use the term "Mailing List" as what appends
"Reply-To" Header properly to the same address.
Without "Reply-To" Header, it will be called as "Mail Magazine"
or something equivalent.
our strict definition, because this list (address) appends

*Mailing list* is something "for discussion"
*Mail Magazine* is something "one-way traffic"
... explicit explanation ;-)

Again and again,
("Watch where you are sending email." section)

-- Tetsuya (

P.S. We, Japanese, are not accustomed to such lists as
would not append "Reply-To" and would have no "[listname:seq-num]"
prefixed subject... This is true... Cultural-conflict! :D

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 10:18:47 +0100 (BST)
(Subject: Re: [VOTE] change Reply-To to go to geronimo-dev)
Andrew Savory <> wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Aug 2003, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> > With the Reply-To set to the list, you don't have to remember to reply
> > to all to get it to the list.
> >
> > Please vote.
> >
> > +1 from me
> Not a committer, but -1 for the following reasons:
> # It violates the principle of minimal munging.
> # It provides no benefit to the user of a reasonable mailer.
> # It limits a subscriber's freedom to choose how he or she will direct a
> response.
> # It actually reduces functionality for the user of a reasonable mailer.
> # It removes important information, which can make it impossible to get
> back to the message sender.
> # It penalizes the person with a reasonable mailer in order to coddle
> those running brain-dead software.
> # It violates the principle of least work because complicates the
> procedure for replying to messages.
> # It violates the principle of least surprise because it changes the way a
> mailer works.
> # It violates the principle of least damage, and it encourages a failure
> mode that can be extremely embarrassing -- or worse.
> # Your subscribers don't want you to do it. Or, at least the ones who have
> bothered to read the docs for their mailer don't want you to do it.
> Andrew.

View raw message