geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <>
Subject Re: J2EE reference implementation
Date Fri, 08 Aug 2003 07:42:37 GMT
On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 02:54:57AM -0400, Henri Yandell wrote:
> With Tomcat being the RI for the Java 'web' specs, it seems natural that
> people will be wondering whether Geronimo:
> a) Is the J2EE RI.

Not unless Sun says so, which is (obviously) out of our hands :-)

> b) Wants to be the J2EE RI.

That's a good question for this community, along with the ramifications of
what that might entail.

> Equally, the answer to b) does affect how a lot of the design questions
> are discussed. Will Geronimo seek to toe the J2EE line utterly, or look to
> add extra features that are not banned by the spec, but a little odd.

There has been various mutterings about different packaging/distribution
setups. You could have a "toe-the-line" J2EE distribution. Throw in some
more components and a bit different default config and now you have a
"beyond-the-spec" J2EE distro. In particular, the former might be the thing
which gets certified as compliant, while the latter is just another heavy
duty app server.

All that said, the real answer is that Sun has quite a bit more internal
discussion to go before being able to answer (a).

Greg Stein,

View raw message