geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: OpenEJB
Date Fri, 08 Aug 2003 23:43:31 GMT
I had a long chat with David Blevins (admin on OpenEJB) to bring him up
to speed on what is going on.  He unfortunately was out of the country
this week, so you haven't seen anything from him yet.  Please rest
assured that we are working on bringing together the best ideas from
both projects.  Since we both live in Minneapolis (and hangout at the
same coffee shops), you should expect to see a lot of collaboration
between the two old teams.

<soap-box>
I hope we can begin to refer to our selves as the Geronimo team instead
of identifying with the old projects.
</soap-box>

On Friday, August 8, 2003, at 03:34 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Richard,
>
>> The current thinking now, however, is to create a new container system
>> based on an architecture that more closely related to what JBoss did
>> - Dain can speek more on this topic.

Actually, the old JBoss container was very similar to the OpenEJB
container (there was a fair amount of developer camp switching in the
early days).  The main difference between the two seems to be naming.

>> I think starting fresh with good ideas from both JBoss and OpenEJB
>> development communities is a good way to go.  Both architectures had
>> advantages. It would be nice if we created something that leverages
>> all that we know about EJB container systems.
>
> I agree with you about reserving judgement, and also giving the
> project time
> to bring in some code and then start morphing, but your idea that the
> container should be about supporting pluggable services resonates with
> me.
> Probably also with the Avalon folks, since a lot of discussion this
> year has
> been on installable container services.  From what I've read so far in
> messages on the list plug and play of services within the container is
> fairly common desire.  So hopefully over the fullness of time, that's
> what
> we'll have.

I think this is already happening.  One thing J2EE has really been
missing is a truly pluggable server components.  Some projects are
closer then others to achieving this, but usually when you get to
swapping out component you find that they are highly coupled.  I think
if we achieve true pluggability it will really open up this project to
an even larger number of ideas (just like eclipse has done to the IDE
world).

-dain