geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Blewitt <Alex.Blew...@ioshq.com>
Subject Re: junit tests
Date Mon, 11 Aug 2003 21:16:45 GMT

On Monday, Aug 11, 2003, at 20:26 Europe/London, n. alex rupp wrote:

> In the past I've seen projects where the unit testing effort was poorly
> documented and it hindered development.  These projects would ask new
> developers to help write unit tests against JSR such-and-such, but
> nowhere
> was there a list or a website which broke down that JSR or
> specification and
> documented which parts of the spec had equivalent unit tests in the
> project,
> what they were named and who was responsible for them.

I've got to say, I've yet to see a project where unit tests hindered
development, at least when using powerful refactoring IDEs
(Eclipse/IntelliJ spring to mind).

JSRs and specs are fully detailed on the Sun public websites, but
usually they are pretty big documents and it is not unknown for J2EE
servers to fail to get them exactly right (or, more likely, the spec is
necessarily vague at that point).

> I think, given the large and complex scope of J2EE compliance, that we
> should break down the Spec requirements into bite-sized pieces and
> store
> them into a requirement tracking database, which we could make
> available to
> the public through a web page.  On the web page we could list each
> requirement, it's accompanying unit test (if any) perhaps some brief
> documentation on the issue and maybe the names of people who've been
> working
> on it (for purposes of collaboration).

I do think it's a good idea for the PMC to arrange a list of tasks to
write-first the unit tests before writing the implementation. That way,
at least we'll know we've got a working environment.

Also, having a broken-down list of units-by-section will probably help,
though the test writers will need to be pretty clued up about each JSR.

Alex.