geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Hofstetter <daniel-hofstet...@gmx.ch>
Subject Re: Servlet and JSP engine
Date Tue, 19 Aug 2003 16:02:52 GMT
Hi Vikram

> I noticed early on that a conscious decision has been made to avoid
> developing a servlet and JSP engine and rather rely on embedding either
> Tomcat or Jetty. Is this correct?

Afaik: yes.

> If this is the case, is there a rationale decision for this? If we are
> developing everything from scratch, then why not the servlet and JSP
> engine
> as well? It makes more sense than embedding other implementations.

To create an appserver from scratch means not to reinvent everything :) (see
FAQ: "What other projects will Geronimo reuse?")

I think to develop another servlet/JSP engine isn't worth the effort because
there exist with Tomcat/Jetty already good products. It makes more sense to
concentrate the forces on a good integration of these components and, if
necessary, to enhance them.

Bye,
Daniel

2. GMX ProMail - Platz 2 und Preis-Qualit├Ątssieger!