geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Blewitt <Alex.Blew...@ioshq.com>
Subject Re: DownloadTest Failure when working offline/ behind firewall
Date Fri, 29 Aug 2003 07:26:22 GMT
On Thursday, Aug 28, 2003, at 18:52 Europe/London, James Strachan wrote:

> Also you can use Maven behind firewalls by setting the HTTP proxy
> settings (again in your build.properties file). All this is documented
> on the maven site...
>
> http://maven.apache.org/reference/user-guide.html#Using%20Proxies

Note that in Maven terms, 'proxy' means 'http proxy'. It doesn't work
if you are behind a (say) SOCKS firewall. It's not explicitly covered
in the Maven documentation, so it may be worth putting in as a 'gotcha'
in the FAQ. Thus, running tests behind a SOCKS firewall will always
fail, since the test client checks the existence of a remote website to
which it may have no access.

I really think having a test which depends on you being online in order
to pass is a no-no -- there's no reason why we couldn't set up a simple
ServerSocket on a random port and the test ran against that.

Alex.