geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Blewitt <Alex.Blew...@ioshq.com>
Subject Re: [RT] Component Management Principles
Date Wed, 13 Aug 2003 15:52:02 GMT

On Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003, at 16:42 Europe/London, Berin Loritsch
wrote:

> The way components and containers work with each other are that
> Containers
> provide the entire environment that components live inside of, and does
> _all_ the management of the components.  The approach not only enforces
> proper IOC, but it simplifies the implementation of many types of
> things
> from security management to interceptor heirarchy, etc.

Absolutely. If you end up allowing components to manage/message each
other, code can get very message and be incredibly difficult to evolve
afterwards. I'm guessing this was one of the ideas behind my gut
feelings against JMX as a Kernel.

> My suggestion is to allow for heirarchical containment models (not as
> uncommon
> as you might think) and only allow containers to manage components.
> That will
> make things alot simpler to develop and debug, as well as enforce a
> predictable
> security model.

Definitely. Anything that allows a cleaner separation of the elements
in a system will make it easier to manage. Containers should really be
the only things that manage components, not the other way around.

Alex.