geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Igor Lobanov <cryo...@mail.ru>
Subject Re: One True Way (TM) of handling configuration files
Date Fri, 08 Aug 2003 10:21:26 GMT
Hi Christian and fellow geromimos,

> On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 09:44:34AM +0300, Lyytinen Joonas wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> One thing that has annoyed me in several app-servers (e.g. Weblogic and JBoss) is
the
>> way the server specific configuration XML files located in the WARs/JARs/EARs of
the
>> "pure" J2EE application.  This hinders application portability and is generally messy.
>>
>> My syggeestion is that in geronimo we should adopt a similar approach than the Orion
>> application server (http://www.orionserver.com), where the implementation specific

>> files with some default values are generated into a separate directory structure
>> by the application server when a application is deployed on the server.
>> IMHO this has several advantages.
>>
>> everyone in favor say ay! :)

> hi Lyytinen,

> 1+ for a separate config file, and i think it
> shoult be only one file (something like Tomcats's server.xml)

+1 for separate config files
-1 for only one config file

It will be pretty much complicated to deploy applications "on hot",
because deployer component has to open that "applications.xml", add some
elements and then save it back. On the other hand, if there is
whole separate configuration directory structure, deployment becomes very
simple process. You just need to extract your EAR/WAR/JAR to
applications directory and add one file to corresponding configuration
folder. Just like Tomcat 5.

Igor Lobanov