geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: [i18n] Hardcoded message strings
Date Tue, 26 Aug 2003 17:45:21 GMT
Agreed with all that.

My only comment is - lets try put all the messages inside the exception
classes. So that in Java code we throw the exception which accurately
describes what the exception is...

e.g.

throw new InsertOfEntityBeanFailedException(bean, sqlException,
errorCode);

and there's no message / text in the throws clause. Then we can
refactor later to make the getLocalizedMessage() support i18n without
affecting the codebase much.

This also allows for fine grained exception catching too.

On Tuesday, August 26, 2003, at 06:34  pm, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> Again we have the cart way ahead of the horse...
>
> We need to draw a line.  What are we gong to make i18 and what are we
> going to leave in english.  When are we going to add i18?
>
> I suggest we come up with a way for us to add i18 later without any
> pain now (see my previous message).  Further, I suggest we make the
> rule that only user displayable messages and log messages > info
> support i18, but now Exceptions, debug, or trace.
>
> We have a huge project in front of us and we should do everything to
> make this a fast and enjoyable experience, and I find that editing
> messages bundles and working with message formatter to be neither.  I
> think we should take a long breath and think about a way to make it
> easy add this later.
>
> -dain

>  * Dain Sundstrom
>  * Partner