geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Hiram Chirino <hi...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject RE: Geronimo on z/OS Unix
Date Thu, 21 Aug 2003 03:11:07 GMT
Having developed/worked with several java apps that run on z/OS, I can
tell you that all the porting problems will revolve around the fact that
the JVM native encoding is Cp1047.  That is a EBCIDIC code page.

Many java apps make an assumption that the native encoding is an ASCII
based code page.  Example: I had to patch the jCVS libs to work on the
z/OS because they just used a standard PrintStream to talk the the CVS
server over the network.  They assumed that the native encoding would
match the server, which on z/OS it does not. The fix was to construct
the PrintStream with the encoding set to UTF-8.

Regards,
Hiram

--
  * Hiram Chirino