geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Apel <r.a...@r-apel.de>
Subject RE: uml (was: documentation)
Date Sat, 16 Aug 2003 09:09:07 GMT
I have continued experimenting with the doclet idea from
http://www.spinellis.gr/sw/umlgraph/

With this doclet (or some evolved version of it) the essential design
information may be put into each source file in form of javadoc
comments.

In a separate javadoc process, with this doclet instead of the default
one, the desing information is converted into .dot graph specifications,
- may be by package
- may be by handier sets of related classes

Dot files are practically platform independent and may be easily
converted into a large variety of bitmap or vector formats. There are
even cgi-frameworks for doing this.

So the idea would be to generate the dots within the normal build
process (its fast) and leave the real visualization to each one.

The decisive question is whether we will be willing and able to get the
corresponding javadoc-comments into the sources. I will try to send a
more concrete (and small and compressed!!) example on some area I
haven't selected yet.

Certainly the usage of special doclets can be extended to generating XMI
files to be directly loaded into the different UML-Tools. Indeed I
expect some code there around doing this. Of course it might not be too
easy, because there are several specs and dialects of XMI (XML Metadata
Interchange) and the support of XMI by the different tools also varies
wildly.