geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Apel <r.a...@r-apel.de>
Subject Re: uml (was: documentation)
Date Fri, 15 Aug 2003 00:28:08 GMT
Hi there,

it might be worth distunguishing between

1) generating diagrams from source for purposes of documentation (wiki
etc)

2) importing UML into a tool or Ide-plugin for analysis and modification

IMHO purpose (1) should be scripted (with human revision, of course). I
think http://www.spinellis.gr/sw/umlgraph/ in conjunction with
http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/graphviz/ (javadoc, UmlGraph
Doclet, .dot intermediate format, final output to dozens of graphics
formats) may be used...(Please see attachment quick shots)
Purpose (2) should be left to the personal preferences of each
contributor (at least for now), the resulting sources (patches) being
the definitive means of transfer.

UML-coded proposals or contributions to discussion may be generated from
UML-tools/plugins in bitmapped or vector (SVG?) form.

Indeed, what may be necessary, is a standard for navigation in bitmapped
or svged diagrams.

May be someone from the Javascript scene can design a generalized
framework for zooming and panning in bitmapped or svged diagrams?