geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Blewitt <Alex.Blew...@ioshq.com>
Subject Re: DownloadTest Failure when working offline/ behind firewall
Date Fri, 29 Aug 2003 13:31:14 GMT
On Friday, Aug 29, 2003, at 13:13 Europe/London, James Strachan wrote:

> Its standard Maven procedure on all Maven projects to work like this.
> You're the first person I've heard who doesn't like it.

There's always a first :-) Sounds like the last, too ...

> Like I said - its easy to disable the running of unit tests if you
> wish - either on the command line, via build.properties or by hacking
> your own maven.xml.

Yup, done so.

>> Sure, if I am the only person who thinks that running tests every
>> time during development is annoying.
>
> I guess you've not got gotten test-infected & caught the TDD bug then.
>
> Remember you can use your IDE to edit code (e.g. eclipse) and run only
> those unit tests you wish. You don't have to use Maven every time you
> code something.

I absolutely am test-infected :-) I've got about 1/3 of the JavaMail
APIs with unit tests, and in implementing the rest I'm creating more
tests.

What I do is build the system in Eclipse, run the tests in Eclipse, and
repeatedly go back/forwards in that cycle. I don't drop down into Maven
because it's a painfully slow build/test cycle. In fact, the only time
I need it is when I want to run the system as a whole, and then it bugs
me if all the tests are run then since I know the stuff I want to test
works :-) I just don't think IMHO that the tests are a necessary part
of an ordinary developer build, though they will definitely be required
for (say) public releases.

What I have done in the past is a cycle of:

Write/Test -> in Eclipse
Run -> compile and get code working (inc. jars)
Integrate -> run unit tests
Release ->

Anyway, I wholeheartedly support testing, just not integration testing
for every compile phase.

Alex.