geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Blewitt <Alex.Blew...@ioshq.com>
Subject Re: global cvsignore (was: geronimo-dev Digest 14 Aug 2003 22:49:29 -0000 Issue 62)
Date Fri, 15 Aug 2003 08:04:12 GMT
On Friday, Aug 15, 2003, at 01:44 Europe/London, Henri Yandell wrote:

> Definitely got my support. maven.log is an easy no-no, and the reasons
> for
> having .project and .classpath would only really hold if either:
>
> a) project has all its dependencies in a lib/
> b) project assumes the user will set a MAVEN_REPO variable in eclipse
> and
> have the values found there.

This would probably be a good convention IMHO; I've had to hard-code
them in my path.

Plus, if you had a new depedency added by developer X, and developer X
commits the .classpath, then I don't need to update my Eclipse runtime
to notice the new libraries other than doing a refresh.

Of course, it may be possible to auto-generate the .classpath from the
maven file :-)

> Do you want me to take it to the Jakarta PMC? Alternatively we could
> just
> float the idea on Jakarta General and Maven Users/Dev and see what
> happens. Also, as Eclipse is not just Java, I assume the .project file
> is
> applicable to all projects.

Yes, the .project gives the project name and build types (i.e.
Java/Plain/Whatever). The only time we might run into problems is in a
system where I'm using WSAD (built on top of Eclipse) and the .project
lists it as (say) a Web Project; I'd therefore have a different (and
incompatible) .project than Eclipse users.

Alex.