geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: [xmlbeans] quick heads up on experimental module
Date Fri, 15 Aug 2003 10:27:19 GMT

On Thursday, August 14, 2003, at 11:23  pm, Ou, Rong wrote:

> I played around a little with BEA's XMLBeans
> (http://dev2dev.bea.com/technologies/xmlbeans/) and it seemed to work
> better than JAXB. They do claim 100% XML Schema support :). Not sure
> about licensing compatibility.

The licence looks quite complex. I think we're allowed to redistribute
xbeans.jar - though if someone could double check I"d appreciate it.
Have put it onto the maven repository for now; if anyone finds a clause
in the licence that forbids it I can remove it.

The only problem with XMLBeans right now seems to be that it includes
some LGPL code inside its implementation. Though we're not linking
directly with the LGPL code, XMLBeans is - which looks a BSD-ish
licence. So I think we're fine but its something to watch. Hopefully
if/once XMLBeans moves to Apache all this licence stuff will get
clarified & sorted out - and we can hopefully have a much smaller
XMLBeans jar too.

Incidentally the name 'xmlbeans' for the module is not ideal since it
clashes with the name of the XMLBeans project. Any suggestions? Am
thinking of calling the module/package xbeans instead?

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/