geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: Coding standards: import thing.* or thing.Class?
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2003 07:00:54 GMT
> A bunch of people have said they've preferred to use the import
> fully.qualified.ClassName approach. I don't see that there is a
> problem with having fully qualified references in the code for a
> single use of a class (like an implementation of a class name);
> however, your class will then 'depend' on that implementation.

Agreed.  I think the general rule is just to avoid glob imports, then
leave the usage of FQCNs up to the discretion of the developer.  Oh,
but I would suggest that FQCNs if used be minimized.  I have seen some
people (and IDEs) which like to code everything with FQCNs and that is
just an ugly, ugly mess to deal with.

I do not agree that we should have any concrete rules on how to sort
imports though.  I would like to see imports grouped, but I do not
really care that they are alphabetical or whatever.  Furthermore I do
not want to spend time alphabetizing my imports or performing other
such superfluous code alterations.

--jason