geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: [persistence] Some thoughts regarding CMP and JDO
Date Thu, 07 Aug 2003 16:34:40 GMT
Hello Thomas (and the rest of the OJB team),

Jeremy Boynes and I (and a few others) wrote the CMP 2.0 implementation
in JBoss, and we have been working on the persistence code in the
initial Geronimo code base.

There is some code right now (a compiler and sql generator) and a
fairly extensive design, but it looks like we have similar designs.
The design is fairly simple from the high level.  We will support
several front end layers simultaneously at runtime (CMP, JDO, maybe
Hibernate, heck maybe SQL).   The job of the front end layer is to
handle the life-cycle and callbacks required by the related
specification, but all real work will be delegated to a centralized
persistence service.  This persistence service handles caching,
locking, versioning, clustering and so on.  When persistence service
actually needs to manipulate data it delegates to a store manager
service.  The target initial store managers include SQL 92, SQL 99,
Oracle (which is not really SQL), file based (XML maybe), and we have
plans to add LDAP, clustered database layer and some legacy systems.
The following ASCI picture sums this up (if it comes through):

                 ---------------
CMP ----------> |             | ------> SQL
JDP ----------> | persistence | ------> Oracle
Hibernate ----> | manager     | ------> LDAP
                 |             | ------> CICS (whatever)
                 ---------------

Now the persistence manager has a huge job, so it is broken down into
plugins for caching, locking and so on, which effectively  makes the
persistence manager just a coordinator of the plugins.

Anyway, this is getting a little too technical for right now,
considering the initial code doesn't even have Entity beans.  From what
I have seen, we have a similar vision, and I think we should talk about
merging our efforts into a common persistence engine (maybe we can even
get Gavin and the Hibernate team to sync up with us).  I think it would
be really positive for Java to at least have all of us at least talking
so our systems can play well together, but if we joined forces....  :D

-dain