geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: [deployment][jsr77] Dependency code in AbstractStateManageable.
Date Thu, 21 Aug 2003 05:40:57 GMT
On Thursday, August 21, 2003, at 12:15 AM, Greg Wilkins wrote:

> -1+1  Can you leave the code dealing with the state machine in
> AbstractStateManageable.  ie the setStateInstance check of the
> lifecycle and the doStart and doStop abstraction to separate tasks
> for this object from any coordinated start processing.

Sure, but why do you need AbstractStateManageable specifically?

>> Drink a half dozen pints.
>
> +1 (so long as it is in the order above).

I already drank a bottle of wine so I'm done....

> I also think you should make an ManagedContainer interface and
> an AbstractManagedContainer class that would have all the
> dependency service code in it.  ie it would extend addComponent so
> that a dependency is added to the dependency service when it is called.

Well I did half of this.  I added the rest of the types defined in 77
to the management package and added an AbstractStateMangeable which
implements ManagedObject, StateManageable, and EventProvider (but not
StatisticsProvider yet).  I haven't touched the rest of the stuff in
common yet, but I can when I wake up (unless you get to it first).

> Actually... with that, I'd probably shut up on this issue as the
> dependency mechanism integration into Component and Container would be
> a lot more obvious - namely that the AbstractManagedContainer is really
> just a conveniance class for configuring the dependency service.

Okay... I glad we came to a good compromise.

-dain