geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Erin Mulder" <me...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: One True Way (TM) of handling configuration files
Date Fri, 08 Aug 2003 18:11:25 GMT
Alex Blewitt wrote:
> >  From an administrator's PoV, it would be nicer if all configuration
> > could be done via an admin console, and for the repository to be stored
> > in a not-necessarily-human-readable form which was updated as the config
> > was changed via the admin console (e.g. Web app)

Robert Responded
> While this may be a matter of some personal preference, I tend to like
> config files over an admin cosole/webapp. Being able to
> administer/maintain via a command line is imporant to me.

I am all in favor of a good admin console, but everything should still be
accessible through XML config files and the command line.

One of the most common complaints about Websphere (4.x at least) is the way
it obfuscates all the configuration files.  GUI tools are great for
administration of shared servers, but not for development.   I want a good
record of any configuration changes I make and an easy, legible way to share
them with other developers (see the "User Friendliness" thread).

Erin