geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: [Logs] Re: Logging code and Garbage Collection
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2003 22:02:46 GMT
I have just checkin in a proof of concept CachingLog4jLog.  This
commons log implementation caches the values of the trace, debug, and
info enabled flags.  The flags are update on a periodic basis by a
single java.util.Timer.  The period is currently hard coded to 3
minutes, but if people like this I can add a management interface to it.

The warn, error and fatal levels are hard coded to true as log4j does
not even expose a isXXXEnabled for these levels.  The internal
implementation of the trace, debug, and info methods do an explicit
level check before delegating the the log4j logger.  For example:

     public void info(Object message) {
         if (infoEnabled) {
             logger.log(FQCN, Priority.INFO, message, null);
         }
     }

-dain

On Thursday, August 14, 2003, at 03:14 AM, Alex Blewitt wrote:

> On Thursday, Aug 14, 2003, at 06:31 Europe/London, Pasi Salminen wrote:
>
>> Putting my administrator hat on, I must say that I don't like
>> application servers
>> which do not enable change of logging level at runtime.
>
> Though personally I've not come across this before, I can see that it
> would be a desirable thing to have.
>
>> Berin Loritsch wrote:
>>
>>> For example:
>>>
>>> if ( m_logger.isDebugEnabled() )
>>> {
>>>      m_logger.debug( "test message" );
>>> }
>>>
>>> is both slower and more cumbersome than this:
>>>
>>> m_logger.debug( "test message" );
>
> I will agree that there is more code. But bear in mind that w/o the
> debugging guard, the m_logger.debug("message") will almost certainly
> call m_logger.isDebugEnabled() (or access the boolean to do the test)
> anyway, so in the (common) case when debugging isn't enabled then IMHO
> it will make very little difference; possibly even run /faster/ with
> the guard.
>
> Bear in mind that 'is slower' and 'is faster' are only likely to be
> based on what we humans think; until you've actually got code that is
> running, and it is demonstrable that this is where the bottleneck is,
> then pre-optimisation isn't worthwhile.
>
> Alex.

  * Dain Sundstrom
  * Partner