geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: geronimo and avalon?
Date Fri, 08 Aug 2003 08:12:22 GMT

On Friday, August 8, 2003, at 09:04  am, Paul Hammant wrote:

> Folks,
>
> It is way too early to talk of a (internal) component design.
> Refactor to it later. Or enable all visions, again later.  Working
> code that passes unit tests is far more important.

+1.

Lets try not do too much design up front. Most important right now is
creating unit tests, getting good test coverage & completing the
EJB/MDB container & integrating Tomcat/Jetty, James, Axis, OJB,
OpenJMS etc. (Note thats not just dropping components into a container
- its things like using MDBs in James & Axis or transactions in OJB,
OpenJms and EJB etc).

Lets take an XP approach to get things functional and get it tested &
working, then look at refactoring when it makes sense later on. If we
spend too much time on up front design right now we'll never get
anywhere. I think Geronimo can only really be succesful if we follow an
XP path and let the framework show itself to us as we refactor rather
than designing it up front.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/