geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: Caching
Date Tue, 12 Aug 2003 08:00:24 GMT
On Tuesday, August 12, 2003, at 05:39  am, Robert McIntosh wrote:

> I too would prefer a JCache API.. You know, James Strachan knows a lot
> about JCache.... I've seen him speak on it...

:)

Absolutely - we should leave plugins to the JCache API. Then we can
plugin any of the various implementations (Commons, Avalon, JCS etc).

I"ll take a look at sorting that out. As a side task it might be nice
to refactor the other caches - e.g. JCS - into being JCache compatible.

I've updated the architecture page on the Wiki...

http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?action=edit&id=ApacheJ2EE/
Architecture

> Robert
>
> Bruce Snyder wrote:
>
>> This one time, at band camp, Berin Loritsch said:

>> that a BL>> number of these things have been implemented already by
>> the BL>> org.apache.excalibur.cache package. Perhaps someone with CVS
>> access BL>> could put a comment in to potentially refactor these two
>> together at a BL>> later stage?
>> BL>
>> BL>It would probably be worth it.  Also the Excalibur "Store"
>> includes another
>> BL>cache implementation....
>> BL>
>> BL>To further cloud the picture, I believe that there might be a
>> Jakarta
>> BL>Commons Cache implementation.
>> BL>
>> BL>A best of breed would be a good thing.  Probably should evaluate
>> it based
>> BL>on the good points of each implementation and start with whatever
>> is closest
>> BL>to where we want to end up.
>>
>> This could be refactored to make use of the JCache API when it is
>> finally
>> released. This would make this layer pluggable. For now, we can make
>> use of the java.util.Map interface right now as that is very close the
>> yet to be seen JCache API.
>>
>> Bruce

James
-------