geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "n. alex rupp" <rupp0...@umn.edu>
Subject The official name is Apache Geronimo.
Date Fri, 15 Aug 2003 01:19:57 GMT
My word is by no means official around here, but the name is and should
remain Apache Geronimo.  I'll tell you five good reasons why.

1.  It's got amazing traction in the press. Brand recognition is an
IMMENSELY important advantage in this market.  If you can get 100,000 people
to whisper your name that's a big deal.  When people remember it, that's
even bigger.  I spent years in the media industry and I can tell you what's
happened in the first two weeks of Geronimo is very special.  Throwing that
traction away would be stupid.

2.  This project and this server will be a place of public accomodation used
by people from all around the world.  Everyone from members of powerful
corporations and governments to tiny villages in Honduras will be able to
use it to build web applications for FREE.  Naming it in honor of Geronimo
is the equivalent of naming an international airport after John F. Kennedy,
Ronald Reagan or Cesar Vallejo.  It is a mark of our highest respect.

3.  I don't associate his name with jumping out of an airplane or suicide.
Anyone who does might consider spending less time in front of the television
and take up gardening, yoga or base jumping.

4.  Pointy-haired bosses who don't see the business sense in Open Source are
most likely not the future business leaders of the software industry, and
we're not sycophantic toadies who live to serve them.  If they're concerned
about the name of their software because of it rings of a bad war movie or
because it might impact on the appearance of their business, we probably
can't help them anyway.  If they're looking for the Vole, they know where to
find it.

5.  The name is reported to have been democratically chosen by a majority of
the initial project members after 2 weeks of discussion.

Those are all the reasons I need.

So please, take all of your names and save them.  Most of them are
fantastic.  There will be other projects for them and if not, you can always
adopt.  I'm not a committing member of this project and I can't speak
officially but I know a good thing when I see one, so I give Geronimo a big
warm fat +1.

MOAMOATAC.
--
N. Alex Rupp (n_alex_rupp@users.sf.net)