geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "n. alex rupp" <rupp0...@umn.edu>
Subject Re: junit tests
Date Mon, 11 Aug 2003 19:26:26 GMT
In the past I've seen projects where the unit testing effort was poorly
documented and it hindered development.  These projects would ask new
developers to help write unit tests against JSR such-and-such, but nowhere
was there a list or a website which broke down that JSR or specification and
documented which parts of the spec had equivalent unit tests in the project,
what they were named and who was responsible for them.

I think, given the large and complex scope of J2EE compliance, that we
should break down the Spec requirements into bite-sized pieces and store
them into a requirement tracking database, which we could make available to
the public through a web page.  On the web page we could list each
requirement, it's accompanying unit test (if any) perhaps some brief
documentation on the issue and maybe the names of people who've been working
on it (for purposes of collaboration).

Then, people who want to help with the project could go digging and find
requirements with no tests or ones whose tests are broken, and write new
ones for submission.  I know it's going to be tricky, but perhaps this might
make it easier to go after compliance.

Does that sound reasonable?
--
Alex (n_alex_rupp@users.sf.net)