geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Vikram Goyal" <t...@craftbits.com>
Subject Re: Servlet and JSP engine
Date Wed, 20 Aug 2003 14:25:10 GMT

> The approach that I wish to take - is to firstly define geronimos own view
of
> what are web containers, connectors and applications and to capture that
in
> the AbstractWebContainer layer.  This will be focused on what geronimo
needs
> as a complete J2EE engine and will not pander to any particular
implementation.

> Then if the jetty/tomcat implementations of this are not suitable
> robust, modular and efficient - we can consider a geronimo native
> implementation.  I may even consider donating Jetty to apache to assist
> with this - but I think this is WAY too early to think about such things.

Excellent !! This is perhaps the best way to do this, although I still think
that the underlaying implementation should be from scratch. It is not Jetty
that we need to improve or fix but have geronimo be based on a clean,
separate and independent implementation.

> But I take your point - use of external implementations should not be
> allowed to be an excuse for not having a top class, seamlessly integrated
> J2EE compliant web tier withing geronimo.

Thanks. I am not trying to criticize the choices made, but simply trying to
understand them.

I would love to help you out with this implementation. Let me know where and
how to begin.

Regards,
Vikram