geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "James deGraft-Johnson" <jdegr...@digaman.com>
Subject RE: [services] getting service developers started - the initial component model
Date Tue, 12 Aug 2003 07:47:10 GMT

Fax:        (301) 847-8025
Mobile:  (240) 475-1444 (jdegraft@verizon-uc.com)

-----Original Message-----
From: jastrachan@mac.com [mailto:jastrachan@mac.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2003 2:07 AM
To: geronimo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: [services] getting service developers started - the initial
component model

I'm sure we could all debate the perfect container framework and
compare and contrast the intricacies of the various flavours of Avalon
containers, PicoContainer, JMX & Java Beans until the cows come home.
However what is really important right now is we start writing
lightweight, pluggable services ASAP to start filling in the J2EE stack
for Geronimo.

Up to now the Geronimo codebase has assumed a JMX micro kernel,
following in the footsteps of JBoss, Tomcat 5 and Jetty. I'm sure this
can be improved with time though this strategy has been proved to work.
Before we get bogged down in months of upfront design for what the
perfect container should be - I'd like us to be able to make good
progress integrating the various services - of which there are many.
Then we have some real use cases that can help us as we refactor the
Geronimo container.

What I'd like to do as an initial step is choose a default component
model for service developers to follow as they write Geronimo services.
For some time most of the main services in Geronimo are going to be
fairly course grained (web container, Axis, JMS provider, JTA etc). In
addition at the time of writing Geronimo can deploy MBeans.

So initially I think the component model should be JMX MBeans. These
are simple, lightweight components that have no compile time
dependencies on anything. The MBeans themselves should follow the
Inversion of Control pattern - i.e. the container instantiates &
configures the MBean. In addition we should try follow the MBean
interface pattern such that we can do efficient interception easily
with dynamic proxies - also note that MBeans do not need to use JMX at
all - any container mechanism can be used to configure & wire together
the components.

Already today Geronimo can handle MBeans. It must always be able to
handle MBeans. Indeed whatever Geronimo's container framework becomes
it should be easily cable of working with the plethora of J2EE MBeans
that are out there. (MBeans are essential to J2EE).

So in summary

* lets start writing J2EE services as MBeans that we can plug into
Geronimo today.

* in parallel to this activity folks can help improve & innovate inside
the Geronimo kernel - without adversely affecting the progress of the
component authors - we can all work in parallel

* those Avalon fans could package up one or more Avalon containers as
MBeans then any Avalon components could be easily deployed inside an
actual Avalon container inside Geronimo. Ditto for PicoContainer too.
i.e. this strategy allows for a diversity of containers to be deployed.

* once all the required deployment options are available (EAR, WAR,
SAR) and the ClassLoader stuff is working along with the interceptor
stack; folks can then refactor the container using some real J2EE
services to improve the manageability & codebase - based on real
refactoring of working code rather than too much up front design.
Indeed we can take a TDD approach to refactoring the container. So
rather than guessing what a J2EE container should look now, we can
refactor as we get there to improve it.

* we should make great progress, getting J2EE coverage fairly soon -
yet we won't really be tied to JMX at all - the MBeans could be used in
any container implementation.

* if in the future we come up with some other component model to be
supported, it should be trivially easy to plugin MBeans anyway, or a
simple refactor to support them

Thoughts?

James
-------