geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hls...@comcast.net>
Subject RE: One True Way (TM) of handling configuration files
Date Fri, 08 Aug 2003 18:28:52 GMT
I've never liked the vision of unpacking an EAR (and the WARs and EJBs within) to fiddle with
deployment descriptors.  That's the kind of thing that mandates some kind of GUI tool to be
workable, since you'll tie your fingers in knots unpacking, editting and repacking all that.

I would rather see a parallel directory structure that would contain overrides for information
in
those descriptors, i.e.

/overrides/myapp.ear/application.xml

Would override the application.xml inside

/deploy/myapp.ear

Or something along these lines.  Perhaps that data is in a database, or comes from multiple
sources,
or is managed by a GUI.  The point is, leave the original artifacts (EARs, WARs, JARs) alone,
and
augment them from the outside.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship