geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hls...@comcast.net>
Subject RE: JMX as a kernel (was: Re: geronimo and avalon?)
Date Fri, 08 Aug 2003 15:33:28 GMT
I'm going to plug HiveMind again here.

Looking over what JBoss has done with JMX as a Microkernel, I have a couple of key issues.

First off, the code abstraction that requires you to invoke methods on MBeans using an interface
like reflection.  Yes, there are workarounds to that (such as using dynamic Proxys) but if
a Java
object is invoking a method on another Java object within the same JVM why make it look like
some
low-level RPC call?

Second, configuration of MBeans leaves a bit to be desired.  I suppose it works well for simple
properties, but once you get to anything complicated, you start seeing more and more ad-hoc
ugliness.  Among other things, you end up endlessly rehashing the code to translate an MBean
name
into an instance that methods can be invoked on.

Intrinsic to HiveMind are concepts adapted from Eclipse Plugins: extension points and extensions.
Extension points define a point where modules can plug into other modules; an extension point
defines a kind of XML schema for contributions.  Extensions are snippets of XML that plug
into
extension points.

The end result is something very flexible, and very supportive of a very complex environment,
yet
very "lean and mean" at the same time.

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/hivemind

--