geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "James deGraft-Johnson" <jdegr...@digaman.com>
Subject RE: [services] getting service developers started - the initial component model
Date Tue, 12 Aug 2003 11:21:57 GMT

Fax:        (240) 456-7072
Mobile:   (240) 475-1444 <jdegraft@verizon-uc.com>

-----Original Message-----
From: Alex Blewitt [mailto:Alex.Blewitt@ioshq.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2003 6:57 AM
To: geronimo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [services] getting service developers started - the initial
component model

> All that sounds reasonable and I fully agree with you. However, as the
> project is still in early stages I'd like to emphasize the fact that
> J2EE
> developers may want to deploy their own MBeans (doing things like
> flushing
> a cache) also at runtime. This possibility is without doubt been
> forgetten
> while WebLogic Server was coded. Even BEA WLS developers cannot supply
> one
> with any reasonable ways to deploy your own standard MBeans which do
> not
> have anything to do with WLS itself.

AFAIK the J2EE spec doesn't say anything about being able to put your
own MBean into a server. However, an MBean container for just this
purpose sounds like an excellent idea.

Note that I don't believe the server itself needs to be an MBean
container (in much the same way that the whole isn't a web container or
ejb container) but it seems reasonable to assume that at some future
point the J2EE spec may create the concept of an MBean container.