geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Erin Mulder" <me...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: junit tests
Date Mon, 11 Aug 2003 23:39:28 GMT
From: "Bruce Snyder" <ferret@frii.com>
> Clover will provide us with the status of which you speak. But to break
> down each requirement will certainly take a lot more work. It would be
> very nice to try to automate this work because it is so generic.
>
> Sure, in the meantime, we could use the Wiki to track it manually,
> but we will need to consider how the Wiki list will be converted to the
> final solution.
>
> I'd like to get started writing some tests tonight and get them checked
> in so let's decide what we're going to do so that efforts don't go in
> the wrong direction or, even worse, get wasted.

Not sure what to say yet for basic low-level unit tests, but for spec
compliance tests, we could start with the following:

    1. Create a page in the Wiki that lists all of the specs
    2. Each spec listing links to a test coverage page
    3. The test coverage page lists all of the tests, organized by
chapter/section.
    4. A developer notices a section with no tests and puts a note in saying
he's developing one
    5. Once the test is committed, that part is updated to refer to it by
name
    6. Eventually, the page lists the entire spec, with tests for each
requirement

A page for the EJB 2.1 spec might look something like:

    Chapter 7: Session Bean Components
        7.8: Stateless Session Beans
            7.8.2: Operations allowed in stateless session beans
                * test being developed by jdoe@somewhere.org
            7.8.3: Dealing with Exceptions
                * org.apache.geronimo.test.ejb.TestSessionExceptionHandling

    Chapter 18: Exception Handling
        18.3: Container Provider responsibilities
            18.3.1: Exceptions from a session/entity's business methods
                * org.apache.geronimo.test.ejb.TestSessionExceptionHandling
            18.3.10 Release of resources
                * org.apache.geronimo.test.ejb.TestExceptionResouceRelease

Not too advanced, but easy to parse into a database later.   Plus, it makes
it simple to find areas that need tests.   Of course, the more I look at
this, the more it looks like an open source TCK.

I can update the Wiki with the skeleton for this if you want to give it a
go.   It would be helpful, however, to come up with some meta tags to put in
the tests themselves to make automation easier later on.

Erin