geode-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hanson <mhan...@pivotal.io>
Subject Re: [REQUEST] Squash merge please
Date Tue, 05 Nov 2019 19:49:27 GMT
Yup. I am a little annoyed at myself about that..

Thanks for the reminder though.

Mark

> On Nov 5, 2019, at 11:48 AM, Owen Nichols <onichols@pivotal.io> wrote:
>
> +1
>
> When merging a PR from GitHub, if the green button does not already say “Squash and
merge”, click the little triangle and select “Squash and merge”.

> In addition to all the reasons already listed in this thread, it make reverts a lot cleaner
too.

>> On Oct 28, 2019, at 12:47 PM, Jacob Barrett <jbarrett@pivotal.io> wrote:
>>
>> +1
>>

>>> On Oct 22, 2019, at 5:12 PM, Nabarun Nag <nnag@pivotal.io> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Geode Committers,
>>>
>>> A kind request for using squash commit instead of using merge.
>>> This will really help us in our bisect operations when a regression/flakiness
in the product is introduced. We can automate and go through fewer commits faster, avoiding
commits like "spotless fix" and "re-trigger precheck-in" or other minor commits in the merged
branch.

>>> Also, please use the commit format : (helps us to know who worked on it, what
is the history)
>>>               GEODE-xxxx: <brief intro >
>>>
>>>                               * explanation line 1
>>>                               * explanation line 2
>>>
>>> This is not a rule or anything, but a request to help out your fellow committers
in quickly detecting a problem.

>>> For inspiration, we can look into Apache Kafka / Spark where they have a complete
linear graph for their main branch HEAD [see attachment]