geode-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Schuchardt <bschucha...@pivotal.io>
Subject important change in backward-compatibility testing
Date Wed, 11 Sep 2019 23:00:57 GMT
To fix GEODE-7168 I have modified the backward-compatibility framework
to preserve periods in version names.  Prior to the change versions were
in the form "100", "110", "120", etc.  Now they are "1.0.0-incubating",
"1.1.0", "1.2.0", etc.

When requesting a VM that's running a particular version of Geode you
need to use the dot notation.

     host.getVM(1, "1.9.0") /not host.getVM(1, "190")/

There is a new method in VersionManager for transforming a version
string into the old notation if you need it.  See
VersionManager.versionWithNoDots(versionString).  Use that if you need
to parse a version into an integer.

On another note, please don't expect that these versions are reflected
in the Versions class, which is primarily for noting changes in
serialization.  For instance, our recent release 1.9.1 has no
corresponding Version instance.