geode-dev mailing list archives

From Udo Kohlmeyer <...@apache.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] GEODE-7241 - make Jar not War?
Date Wed, 25 Sep 2019 19:20:30 GMT
@Jake, whilst I agree with your statement that there is a preference
that sers use GFSH to manage their clusters. With that statement are you
also making a blanket statement we should remove the exposed public
API's we expose in GEODE to start a Client/Server/Locator?

IF the expected usage of the product is to download it and not use
dependency management, should we then also remove `geode-core`,
`geode-wan`, `geode-lucene` artifacts, as all of these would also be
within the dependencies listed in the geode-dependecies.jar?

It DOES sound counter productive and in essence a little backwards, but
if our "prescribed" approach to interact/bootstrap/configure/manage
Geode is to use GFSH, then we should remove all other temptations.

--Udo

On 9/25/19 12:10 PM, Jacob Barrett wrote:

> -1 for updating previous releases or merging into the current release. I see no overwhelming
need to have these published so that a downstream project can subvert the prescribed why of
starting a server with all its dependencies. A workaround to this issue is to depend on the
full distribution tgz and use gfsh or geode-dependencies.jar to start things up.

> -Jake
>
>> On Sep 25, 2019, at 11:46 AM, Udo Kohlmeyer <ukohlmeyer@pivotal.io> wrote:
>>
>> So it seems there is consensus around jar vs war. WAR's win by nose. (until we can
find a more creative way to expose said artifacts)

>> That said, do we need to start another thread about fixing 1.8.x or 1.9.x?
>>
>> I'm already considering proposing that GEODE-7241 is included into 1.9.2, as that
patch release is already discussed to backport GEODE-7121.

>> --Udo
>>
>> On 9/25/19 10:53 AM, Anthony Baker wrote:
>>> Thanks for the reminder.  If these files are required to start a geode member,
I agree they should be published artifacts.  Perhaps there’s a better way to pull them in…but
this seems like the best option for now.

>>> Anthony

the REST endpoints, requires the starting of the server with and embedded web-server.

downloaded product, the HTTP endpoints are not part of the dependency. These are added in
by including the WAR files from mavenCentral.

Controller in the Geode codebase itself.