geode-dev mailing list archives

From Anthony Baker <aba...@pivotal.io>
Subject Re: Proposal to Include GEODE-7079 in 1.10.0
Date Thu, 15 Aug 2019 18:08:04 GMT
While we can’t fix *all known bugs*, I think where we do have a fix for an important issue
we should think hard about the cost of not including that in a release.

IMO, the fixed time approach to releases means that we *start* the release effort (including
stabilization and bug fixing if needed) on a known date and we *finish* when new believe the
quality of the release branch is sufficient.  Given the number of important fixes being requested,
I’m not sure we are there yet.

I think the release branch concept has merit because it allows us to isolate ongoing work
from the changes needed for a release.

+1 for including GEODE-7079.

Anthony

> On Aug 15, 2019, at 10:51 AM, Udo Kohlmeyer <ukohlmeyer@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Seems everyone is in favor or including a /*non-critical*/ fix to an already cut branch
of the a potential release...

> Am I missing something?
>
> Why cut a release at all... just have a perpetual cycle of fixes added to develop and
users can chose what nightly snapshot build they would want to use..

> I'm voting -1 on a non-critical issue, which is existing and worst effect is to fill
logs will NPE logs... (yes, not something we want).

> I believed that we (as a Geode community) agreed that once a release has been cut, only
critical issue fixes will be included. If we continue just continually adding to the ALREADY
CUT 1.10 release, where do we stop and when do we release...