geode-dev mailing list archives

From Dan Smith <dsm...@pivotal.io>
Subject Fwd: [DISCUSS] Improvements on client function execution API
Date Thu, 22 Aug 2019 18:29:41 GMT
For the two new execute() methods you are proposing, are you also
suggesting that they be implemented on the server?

I took a look at the C++ API. The C++ API also has a
ResultCollector.getResult(timeout) method. Does that timeout do anything,
given that execute(timeout) already waited for the given timeout?

Long term, are you thinking that we should remove execute() with no
parameters and getResult(timeout) and just have these two blocking
execute(timeout) methods on the server and clients? I think you are right
that we shouldn't change the behavior of the existing execute() to avoid
breaking our users. But I also want to understand what our long term plan
is for a consistent and sensible API.

-Dan