geode-dev mailing list archives

From Jacob Barrett <jbarr...@pivotal.io>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Pulling the current proposed 1.10 release until we can agree on develop being stable
Date Tue, 27 Aug 2019 02:44:37 GMT
While I share your concern that too many things are getting cherry-picked into the release,
I disagree that recutting the branch is a good solution. Recutting the branch effectively
cherry-picks everything on the develop branch. This means we start at ground zero evaluating
this release.

Each code change brings risk. We minimize that risk by reducing the change on the release
branch. The alternative is to “lock” the develop branch, but this slows productivity significantly.

I do think we could do a better job vetting what is and isn’t critical to the release though.
I would like to see a harder line on new bugs vs. old bugs. Fixes to bugs introduced in this
release are a clear candidate for including in the release. Bugs that have existed for several
releases should probably get bumped with consideration given for likely or present impact
to a user and complexity of the issue and fix.

-Jake

> On Aug 26, 2019, at 4:06 PM, Udo Kohlmeyer <udo@apache.com> wrote:
>
> Hi there Apache Geode devs,
>
> It has been some weeks since the proposed 1.10 release was cut. We've gone through a
few cycles where we keep on submitting "please include ticket GEODE-XXX" because it is critical
and will break the system. WHICH in reality tells me that current develop is broken and unstable.

> I'm going to suggest that we abandon the current 1.10 release branch. I cannot shake
the feeling that our continuous cherry picking into a branch will result in either the branch
becoming unmaintainable, given we have only select fixes in the branch OR we end up with a
branch that is more stable than our current development branch, which would result in us having
to rebase the develop branch onto the 1.10 branch.

> I propose that once we see the pipeline is clean and green for a solid we then again
attempt to cut 1.10 branch.

> We CANNOT continue adding to a branch in order to stabilize it.. It just means the branch
we cut from is unstable. If we cannot cut a branch from develop without having to have weeks
of stabilization cycles, then our main branch is broken...