geode-dev mailing list archives

From Jinmei Liao <jil...@pivotal.io>
Subject [DISCUSS]: ClusterManagementService configuration objects
Date Wed, 10 Jul 2019 20:16:34 GMT
We've been working on a new and improved ClusterManagmentService for a
while now. It allows developers/administrators to manage the clusters
through rest calls instead of having to use gfsh (more info here:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GEODE/Cluster+Management+Service
).

Up until now, we've been using the auto-generated POJOs from cache.xsd as
configuration objects because they contain all cache.xml has to offer. We
do this with the hope that whatever you can configure using cache.xml, you
can configure using this new model. But we also ran into these problems:
1. auto-generated code is messy, we had to make way too many adjustments to
the generated code in order to improve usage.
2. when xsd change, we would have a hard time to re-incorporate the change
we made to these objects to the newly generated code.
3. these domain objects have deprecated constructs that we do not want to
expose as public api.
4. configuration objects needs to be more intuitive/simple for users to
configure.

So we are proposing to introduce a new set of configuration objects that
are dedicated to CMS, and keep the auto-generated xml domain objects as
internal. And yes, it won't have as much attributes as those xml domain
objects in the beginning, but we are hoping they will catch up soon.

Concerns/comments?
--
Cheers

Jinmei