geode-dev mailing list archives

From Udo Kohlmeyer <...@apache.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Time to cut Geode 1.10.0?
Date Thu, 25 Jul 2019 18:41:28 GMT
@Alexander + @Jared,

So maybe that was my misunderstanding on the RFC (not being optional on
new feature work). Given that this is a new feature, there is
significant risk to getting it "wrong".

I was expecting more discussion around this. I have some objections to
the current approach/design. Given that my day job does not allow me to
respond in a timely manner, I would have not been able to get all my
concerns raised. In addition, throwing something onto the wiki, and then
a few weeks before we'd like to cut a version raising a discussion
thread on work that has been going on for months already does not help
with the community being able to read, digest, think, reason and respond
BEFORE it is released.

I know `@Experimental` is non-binding on API's or usage, BUT I prefer
some of the ground work to have been discussed, API's validated BEFORE
it is released into the wild. I mean this is a PUBLIC API, so we'd
prefer to get it more correct than the previous one.

Maybe it is just me, taking it too serious... Where I prefer not release
something as close to 95% correct (and discussed).

Anyway.. If we want to cut 1.10... and we should... Let's do so.. but
I'd prefer that more on the correctness on the approach.

--Udo