geode-dev mailing list archives

From Owen Nichols <onich...@pivotal.io>
Subject Re: what is the best way to update a geode pull request
Date Fri, 31 May 2019 20:28:22 GMT
Personally, I do not force-push to my PRs once any review comments have been accumulated, for
the reasons you mention.

Not sure if some people just force-push out of habit, or if the requirement for initial commit
to be squashed creates some fear.

I would go a step further and suggest that there is no reason to even require the initial
PR to be a single, squashed commit.  If you have made a small fix and also done some refactoring
or cleanup, as a reviewer I would much rather you submit that PR with multiple distinct commits,
so I don’t have to comb through a gigantic diff trying to spot what is the real change and
what is just renames.

GitHub already very nicely presents the combined delta by default, as if it was a single squashed
commit, so to me there is only negative value in encouraging/requiring pre-squashing.