geode-dev mailing list archives

From Jack Weissburg <jweissb...@pivotal.io>
Subject [DISCUSS] Remove exception.getMessage() error handling
Date Fri, 24 May 2019 20:17:51 GMT
Hi All,

Owen and I investigated a strange error message caused because Geode
previously handled an error exception with exception.getMessage() instead of
 exception.toString().

The issue is that the exception message from exception.getMessage() could
be unhelpful or empty. Instead, we should return the whole exception via
exception.toString().

exception.getMessage()is used widely throughout the Geode code base (100+
times) and could be prone to cause more issues similar to
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GEODE-6796
I would like to change the remaining instances of exception.getMessage()to
avoid future issues of this variety.

Thoughts? Comments?

Best,
Jack Weissburg