geode-dev mailing list archives

From Anthony Baker <aba...@pivotal.io>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] require reviews before merging a PR
Date Fri, 31 May 2019 17:36:37 GMT

> On May 31, 2019, at 10:01 AM, Owen Nichols <onichols@pivotal.io> wrote:
>
> We chose to make Geode an Apache open source project for a reason.  If we no longer wish
to embrace The Apache Way <https://www.apache.org/theapacheway/index.html>, perhaps
we should reconsider.

I strongly disagree with the assertion that we are not following the Apache Way because we
aren’t doing RTC.  Please take a look around other ASF communities and compare that to our
approach.  I think you’ll see a lot of similarities in the way we review GitHub pull requests.

> If we believe that reviewing each other’s code changes is an onerous burden of no value,
we should question why.   The long-term success of Geode depends on sharing of knowledge,
not “cowboy coders”.  3 reviews means now 3 other people are more familiar with that part
of the code…

Yes of course:  community >> code.  Can you point me to cases of “cowboy coding”
in Geode?  I’m not seeing it but happy to be convinced otherwise.

> If apathy is our thing, Apache does allows for “lazy consensus”, but you have to
declare that you will be using it, e.g. “This PR fixes GEODE-123456; if no-one objects within
three days, I'll assume lazy consensus and merge it.”

IMO lazy consensus does not imply apathy.

Anthony