geode-dev mailing list archives

From Owen Nichols <onich...@pivotal.io>
Subject [DISCUSS] require reviews before merging a PR
Date Thu, 30 May 2019 22:51:42 GMT
It seems common for Geode PRs to get merged with only a single green checkmark in GitHub.

According to https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html we should not be merging PRs with
fewer than 3 green checkmarks.

Consensus is a fundamental value in doing things The Apache Way.  A single +1 is not consensus.
 Since we’re currently discussing what it takes to become a committer and what standards
a committer is expected to uphold, it seems like a good time to review this policy.

GitHub can be configured to require N reviews before a commit can be merged.  Should we enable
this feature?

-Owen
VOTES ON CODE MODIFICATION <https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html#votes-on-code-modification>
For code-modification votes, +1 votes are in favour of the proposal, but -1 votes are vetos
<https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html#Veto> and kill the proposal dead until
all vetoers withdraw their -1 votes.

Unless a vote has been declared as using lazy consensus <https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html#LazyConsensus>
, three +1 votes are required for a code-modification proposal to pass.

Whole numbers are recommended for this type of vote, as the opinion being expressed is Boolean:
'I approve/do not approve of this change.'

CONSENSUS GAUGING THROUGH SILENCE <https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html#LazyConsensus>
An alternative to voting that is sometimes used to measure the acceptability of something
is the concept of lazy consensus <https://www.apache.org/foundation/glossary.html#LazyConsensus>.

Lazy consensus is simply an announcement of 'silence gives assent.’ When someone wants to
determine the sense of the community this way, it might do so with a mail message such as:
"The patch below fixes GEODE-12345; if no-one objects within three days, I'll assume lazy
consensus and commit it."

Lazy consensus cannot be used on projects that enforce a review-then-commit <https://www.apache.org/foundation/glossary.html#ReviewThenCommit>
policy.