geode-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Schuchardt <bschucha...@pivotal.io>
Subject [DISCUSS] TTL setting on WAN
Date Wed, 20 Mar 2019 15:48:31 GMT
We've seen situations where the receiving side of a WAN gateway is slow
to accept data or is not accepting any data.  This can cause queues to
fill up on the sending side.  If disk-overflow is being used this can
even lead to an outage.  Some users are concerned more with the latest
data and don't really care if old data is thrown away in this
situation.  They may have set a TTL on their Regions and would like to
be able to do the same thing with their GatewaySenders.

With that in mind I'd like to add this method to GatewaySenderFactory:

/** * Sets the timeToLive expiration attribute for queue entries for the
next * {@code GatewaySender} created. * * @param timeToLive the
timeToLive ExpirationAttributes for entries in this region * @return a
reference to this GatewaySenderFactory object * @throws
IllegalArgumentException if timeToLive is null * @see
RegionFactory#setEntryTimeToLive */ public GatewaySenderFactory setEntryTimeToLive(ExpirationAttributes
timeToLive);

The exact implementation may not be the same as for Regions since we
probably want to expire the oldest entries first and make sure we do so
in their order in the queue.