geode-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Owen Nichols <onich...@pivotal.io>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Proposal to re-cut Geode 1.9.0 release branch
Date Tue, 19 Mar 2019 22:59:56 GMT
Manageability just yesterday moved all work-in-progress behind a feature flag; yes, we are
comfortable releasing in the current state.   

> On Mar 19, 2019, at 3:29 PM, Dan Smith <dsmith@pivotal.io> wrote:
> 
> Is the geode-managability sub-project and the new micrometer API in a place
> where we can cut a release branch? I know a bunch of changes have gone in
> since the release branch, are we comfortable releasing these new
> experimental features as they are right now?
> 
> -Dan
> 
> On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 2:38 PM Dick Cavender <dixie@apache.org> wrote:
> 
>> +1 to re-cutting the 1.9 release branch off a more stable develop sha
>> within the last couple days.
>> 
>> On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 1:14 PM Bruce Schuchardt <bschuchardt@pivotal.io>
>> wrote:
>> 
>>> If we recut the release branch we need to update JIRA tickets marked
>>> fixed in 1.10
>>> 
>>> On 3/19/19 12:48 PM, Sai Boorlagadda wrote:
>>>>> It was known at the time that develop was not as stable as desired,
>>>> so we planned to cherry-pick fixes from develop until the release
>>>> branch was stable enough to ship.
>>>> I want to clarify that we decided to cut the release branch not that
>>>> develop was not stable. But really that it is desirable to cut the
>>>> branch sooner to avoid any regression risk that can be introduced by
>>>> on-going work on develop.
>>>> 
>>>> Nevertheless looks like develop is more stable than release branch due
>>>> to some test fixes that were not cherry-picked into the release branch.
>>>> I think its a good idea to re-cut the branch as our current position
>>>> to stabilize release branch before releasing.
>>>> 
>>>> +1 to re-cut.
>>>> 
>>>> Sai
>>>> 
>>>> On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 12:19 PM Owen Nichols <onichols@pivotal.io
>>>> <mailto:onichols@pivotal.io>> wrote:
>>>> 
>>>>    The Geode 1.9.0 release branch was originally cut 4 weeks ago on
>>>>    Feb 19.  It was known at the time that develop was not as stable
>>>>    as desired, so we planned to cherry-pick fixes from develop until
>>>>    the release branch was stable enough to ship.  While this is a
>>>>    good strategy when starting from a fairly good baseline, it seems
>>>>    in this case it has only added complexity without leading to
>>>>    stability.
>>>> 
>>>>    Looking at the pipelines over the last week (see attached
>>>>    metrics), it appears we have been far more successful at
>>>>    stabilizing /develop/ than /release/1.9.0/. Rather than trying to
>>>>    cherry-pick more and more fixes to the release branch, I propose
>>>>    we RE-CUT the 1.9.0 release branch later this week in order to
>>>>    start from a much more stable baseline.
>>>> 
>>>>    -Owen
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>> 
>> 


Mime
View raw message