geode-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Dave Barnes <dbar...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Proposal to re-cut Geode 1.9.0 release branch
Date Wed, 20 Mar 2019 00:28:54 GMT
The Geode 1.9.0 release includes a source-only release of the geode-native
repo. There's a pull-request in process to update version numbers and the
doc build environment in that repo; should be ready to merge tomorrow
morning.

On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 5:20 PM Dale Emery <demery@pivotal.io> wrote:

> The Micrometer API is in, and marked as experimental. But we have not yet
> updated CacheFactory to allow injecting a meter registry (or metrics
> publishing service) there. So currently the only way to publish is to add
> metrics publishing service via the ServiceLoader mechanism.
>
> —
> Dale Emery
> demery@pivotal.io
>
>
> > On Mar 19, 2019, at 3:29 PM, Dan Smith <dsmith@pivotal.io> wrote:
> >
> > Is the geode-managability sub-project and the new micrometer API in a
> place
> > where we can cut a release branch? I know a bunch of changes have gone in
> > since the release branch, are we comfortable releasing these new
> > experimental features as they are right now?
> >
> > -Dan
> >
> > On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 2:38 PM Dick Cavender <dixie@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> >> +1 to re-cutting the 1.9 release branch off a more stable develop sha
> >> within the last couple days.
> >>
> >> On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 1:14 PM Bruce Schuchardt <
> bschuchardt@pivotal.io>
> >> wrote:
> >>
> >>> If we recut the release branch we need to update JIRA tickets marked
> >>> fixed in 1.10
> >>>
> >>> On 3/19/19 12:48 PM, Sai Boorlagadda wrote:
> >>>>> It was known at the time that develop was not as stable as desired,
> >>>> so we planned to cherry-pick fixes from develop until the release
> >>>> branch was stable enough to ship.
> >>>> I want to clarify that we decided to cut the release branch not that
> >>>> develop was not stable. But really that it is desirable to cut the
> >>>> branch sooner to avoid any regression risk that can be introduced by
> >>>> on-going work on develop.
> >>>>
> >>>> Nevertheless looks like develop is more stable than release branch due
> >>>> to some test fixes that were not cherry-picked into the release
> branch.
> >>>> I think its a good idea to re-cut the branch as our current position
> >>>> to stabilize release branch before releasing.
> >>>>
> >>>> +1 to re-cut.
> >>>>
> >>>> Sai
> >>>>
> >>>> On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 12:19 PM Owen Nichols <onichols@pivotal.io
> >>>> <mailto:onichols@pivotal.io>> wrote:
> >>>>
> >>>>    The Geode 1.9.0 release branch was originally cut 4 weeks ago on
> >>>>    Feb 19.  It was known at the time that develop was not as stable
> >>>>    as desired, so we planned to cherry-pick fixes from develop until
> >>>>    the release branch was stable enough to ship.  While this is a
> >>>>    good strategy when starting from a fairly good baseline, it seems
> >>>>    in this case it has only added complexity without leading to
> >>>>    stability.
> >>>>
> >>>>    Looking at the pipelines over the last week (see attached
> >>>>    metrics), it appears we have been far more successful at
> >>>>    stabilizing /develop/ than /release/1.9.0/. Rather than trying to
> >>>>    cherry-pick more and more fixes to the release branch, I propose
> >>>>    we RE-CUT the 1.9.0 release branch later this week in order to
> >>>>    start from a much more stable baseline.
> >>>>
> >>>>    -Owen
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>
> >>
>
>

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message